Tuesday 1 May 2012

Pop-Up Experiment Evaluation

Audience Interaction/Movement

Pop-up books create a big opportunity to incorporate movement and audience interaction into what was once a flat/still illustration. From my experiments, I have learned that through using techniques like pullies, levers and tabs, the audience can be included in revealing parts of the story or aiding it along, giving the viewer a sense of inclusion, importance and enjoyment.


Material

Using paper as a material was beneficial in two ways: it's supple enough to create folds, creases and bends, which allow for shaping and movement, yet at the same time it's sturdy enough to hold a shape and be pushed in different directions.



Composition/Viewpoint

I was able to keep my experimental pop-up pieces to almost the exact same composition as my original illustrations - this is something that I think is important as I didn't want to lose the original charm and character of my book illustrations.


Conclusion

In my opinion, by creating pop-up pages for my book, I have been able to answer the questions posed in my proposal in a positive way - I have created a better understanding of how a more tactile approach to storytelling can aid the interest and entertainment value for its audience, as well as weighing out the pros and cons to working in this particular medium to see how it functions when considering the objective of interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment