Tuesday 1 May 2012

Paper Engineering - My Pop-Up Experiments!

As I have previously mentioned, I wanted to keep my pop-ups true to the original illustrations of my book, 'Hedgehog Hibernates' - much in the same way that Corina&Co. have with their books for other authors.

Here are a few examples of my pop up experiments using different pages throughout my book...

Page 1

My original illustration for Page 1 of the book 'Hedgehog Hibernates'



Above, is the original illustration for Page 1 of of 'Hedgehog Hibernates' - below, is my pop-up experiment for Page 1...





In the above pop-up experiment, I've managed to keep the composition and viewpoint of the original illustration, just creating levers for the leaves to move up and down on. I chose to use the leaves as the interactive/movable part of the illustration as it signifies the Autumn leaves falling - giving the audience a sense of purpose as they are able to set the scene of the book by making the leaves fall.


Page 3


My original illustration for Page 3 of the book 'Hedgehog Hibernates'


Above, is the original illustration for Page 3 of of 'Hedgehog Hibernates' - below, is my pop-up experiment for Page 3...









Above is my dummy run through for my Page 3 pop-up.
I decided to try and use a more complex method to create this pop up - the tree's bulge and shape is created by a lever on the opposite page that pulls it in, and the squirrel is able to pop out from behind the tree using a lever which pulls at the top of the page.









As I was happy with the way the dummy for Page 3 turned out, I went ahead and made a full colour version.
Again, I have managed to keep the pop-up version close to the original so nothing was lost in translation from turning a 2-Dimensional illustration to a 3-Dimensional pop-up.
I like how movement happens in two places - the rounding of the tree as you open the page, and the poping up of the squirrel as you pull the lever. The light weight paper I used has just the right amount of give to allow for the bending and shaping of the tree trunk.
The audience participation and interaction of this pop up is crucial as it moves the story along, giving a sense of enjoyment and importance to the viewer.


Page 12

My original illustration for Page 12 of the book 'Hedgehog Hibernates'

Above, is the original illustration for Page 12 of of 'Hedgehog Hibernates' - below, is my pop-up experiment for Page 12...






Above is my dummy run through for my Page 12 pop-up.
This time I created a tab which could be pulled down to reveal a 3-Dimensional representation of the hedgehog in the log.









As I was happy with the way the dummy for Page 12 turned out, I went ahead and made a full colour version.
Again, I have managed to keep the pop-up version close to the original so nothing was lost in translation from turning a 2-Dimensional illustration to a 3-Dimensional pop-up.
The audience interaction from this pop up design is to reveal part of what's happening in the story - again, giving a sense of enjoyment and importance to the viewer.


No comments:

Post a Comment